Tom and Lucy Wright
Tom & Lucy are missionaries with Mission to the World. Tom grew up in State College, PA and got his BS from Penn State Univ, and an MD from Temple Medical School. During his time in medical school Tom felt the call to the mission field. After completing a surgery residency, he enrolled at CIU to get further biblical and ministry training prior to going to the field. It was there that he met his wife Lucy. Lucy grew up in Albany, GA and got her BSN from U of GA and MCG nursing school. Through a couple of short-term missions trips to Uganda, Lucy felt a call to missions which led her to CIU as well. There she studied Christian Ed and ESL. After getting married in 1986 and raising support, they left in 1988 for the mission field.
They lived for 25 years in West Africa. Initially they where they were involved in a church planting ministry among M*lims in Ivory Coast. They had the privilege of seeing 3 churches get planted primarily of those from a M*lim background. They had to evacuate in 2004 due to civil war. They returned to the States where Tom completed an M Div from CIU and in 2006 they returned to West Africa, moving to Senegal where they were involved in training of pastors and pastors’ wives, as well as ministry to M*lim university students. They have 2 married daughters Lisa (27) and Emily (25) who were both born and grew up in West Africa. Tom now has an itinerant pastoral training ministry in the francophone world in Africa and Haiti. Although he has taught a variety of courses over the years, he has in recent years focused mostly on teaching 2 courses on Biblical Leadership, which he is also putting into book and digital form. Lucy has taught English to internationals and also teaches Christian dance fitness, including classes at SAPC. They are based in West Columbia, SC.
1. For my teaching trips teaching Biblical Leadership in French-speaking countries in Africa and the Caribbean. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic I’ve had to cancel 5 overseas trips and all travel is halted for the moment. Pray for the right timing for starting up travel again.
2. Please pray that the teaching will greatly impact in practical ways the life and ministries of the pastors and students that attend.
3. Many of the students have asked me to the Biblical Leadership material into a book and into digital format. I am most of the way towards completing the first of 2 books on Biblical Leadership. SAPC missionary, Franklin Beaver, is helping me put the video of the course on to DVD and thumb drive format. We’ve completed the first course and are well into completing the second course. Please PRAY that God will use the book and digital form to get this material out more broadly.
4. For Lucy’s dance fitness ministry to be a blessing physically and spiritually to the ladies who take part. She’s had to stop doing the classes in a building for the present time, and is doing it via Zoom at present. A number of SAPC ladies are doing it with her.
5. For protection for our daughters and son-in-law who are all in occupations that have a lot of contact with people. Daughter Emily and husband Jonathan are both sheriff’s deputies with the Richland Co Sheriff’s Dept and the attitude towards police is not the greatest these days. Daughter Lisa is working in a hospital and her husband Jarrett is a trainer in a gym. Pray that none of them would get the coronavirus.
6. Daughter Lisa is currently strongly considering going to CIU to get a master’s in counseling. She’s not certain about this, so please pray for God’s direction.